Xillinux is a full-blown graphical desktop Linux distribution for the Zedboard, intended as a platform for rapid development of mixed software-logic projects.
Like any Linux distribution, Xillinux is a collection of software which turns the Zedboard into a classic computer system, with roughly the same capabilities as a personal desktop computer running Linux, plus the ability to easily communicate with custom application logic.
Xillinux is a kickstart kit for developing logic talking with the host (easy integration with Xillybus pipes), and most notably differs from Xilinx' demo kit as follows:
* No kernel compilation is likely to be necessary, since nearly all kernel features are enabled (in the "rich" kernel set, available as a binary add-on for download).
* The monitor is connected to analog VGA connector, rather than HDMI
* The logic part is built from sources (and IP cores), hence making changes to the system is straightforward
* Allows native on-board compilation of kernel modules
* Shows an activity meter on the OLED display
* Supports the on-board sound device
* X-Windows desktop is launched only on command